Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Exploring My Inner Slut

I came across this wonderful article yesterday...

My Sluthood, Myself

I think it's awesome that a woman is writing so openly and positively about identifying as a slut.

This came at a serendipitous time as I've recently decided to explore my inner slut in ways that I never have before, including a casual encounters posting at Craigslist seeking sexual domination. This is emotionally risky behavior for me. I am intentionally pushing my edges around the entanglement of sex, intimacy and love. I am desiring to explore pleasure for it's own sake and genuine connections with people that are based in shared sexual passion rather than romantic intentions. I am attempting to open my heart, my mind and my body to exploring my deepest fantasies without the emotional safety of already established relationship.

I am finding that even admitting my desire to be slutty is uncomfortable. I have to wonder how much is societal conditioning and how much is about my unwillingness to open my heart to less than "love-of-my- life" sexual intimacy? I wonder how much of the story I've been telling about "needing" emotional connection is actually true and how much is fear masquerading as a sense of self protection? I wonder how much my reliance on emotional connection has been about my inability to be my own best support no matter my relationship status?

I am significantly involved in a community that supports sexual exploration, surrounded by people pushing their own edges, and yet I've been incredibly restrained, wrapped up in conditioning about the necessity of safety through emotional connection. While I've had casual sex before, I can't say that it was from an empowered place or that it was free of the motivation of finding a deeper relationship. It was more likely driven by that motivation in most cases. And I've never been open to power exchange with strangers, or even acquaintances (well, other than birthday spankings at a social). The vulnerability of submission is something I've been unwilling to give to someone I am not bonded to as friend or lover. I am now questioning my self imposed limitations in order to discover what is really true for me rather than continuing to live the old stories I've been telling myself. I love people and I believe good connection with others is possible in all sorts of ways, so why am I living a story that keeps me from exploring those possibilities?

I like this passage...

"Even now...when I am actually ready for and wanting a more emotional connection, sluthood keeps me centered. It keeps me from confusing desire and affection with something deeper. It means I have another choice besides celibacy and settling. It means I won't enter another committed relationship just to satisfy my basic need for sex and affection. It gives me more choices, it makes room for relationships to evolve organically, to take the shape they will before anyone defines them."


And this passage was unexpected.. .

"I'm telling you this because sluthood requires support. Because any woman who indulges these urges carries with her a lifetime of censure and threat. That's a loud chorus to overcome. A slut needs a posse who finds her exploits almost as delicious as she finds them herself, who cares about her safety and her stories and her happiness but not one whit about her virtue. A slut alone is a slut in difficulty, possibly in danger."

This is an aspect of our sex-positive community that I hadn't considered before. But it's so true. I don't know that I would feel safe and sane exploring my sluthood if I didn't have friends who support my sexual adventures with enthusiasm and without judgment.

Maybe emotional safety means something different than a deep intimate relationship with one person. Maybe it means being vulnerable enough to be held by many and strong enough to hold myself when no one else can be there.

No comments: